2020 is definitely going to run like 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, etc for many of us here.
I don’t intend to bet this with you. But I can assure you that, the only way out is for you to start thinking and acting differently.
No doubt, you’re regretting how you ended 2019 and you really want to make things right in 2020.
Let me say this no matter how bitter it may sound, that if you were never prepared to make excuses and justify every position you find yourself today, the thought of regrets should never have risen.
The truth is, no matter what I say today, you’ll still have excuses for how you ended 2019 without a meaningful and successful impact either in your life, business or relationships.
Listen to me here…… You’re not in this alone. Many of us, create excuses for the many failures we cause.
Even though, these were intentionally caused by us.
Follow me as I present to you 3 important steps you should take this year, so as to arrest the situations that make you create excuses for the eventual failures so that at the end of 2020 by his grace, you will be able to point at something you’ve achieved.
You know what?
Pay attention to the third one.
I would love to talk about my own personal experiences, so you could also see that we are all wired to create excuses. So, it’s not just your fault.
But if after reading this piece, and you’re still caught in that web, then…. I really wouldn’t know any better way to describe your case.
For me, whenever I look back over my life and recount the energy, the commitment, the passion, the zeal, and the undying readiness when I have to create excuses for my constant failures, it just makes me feel really sad.
It was so bad that I was consistently relying on EXCUSES to justify my situations of being broke. If I wasn’t producing enough, I knew it within me, but for my spectators, especially my wife, I had some super justifications to get her convinced. For my attitudes too, I had no better option than to create excuses perfect enough to soothe the situation.
It was that bad.
When I finally realize the nonsense I was doing and how it was affecting my life negatively, I decided to take a look at so many people around me and consciously with apt attention, I realized that almost everyone does it.
99% of people do make these horrible mistakes in their life.
We create excuses intentionally but unknown to us.
…and how could you not, after all, it’s one of the easiest things to do.
Just say it….. And it flows.
You could even say things like, 2019 was a bad year for me because, The Nigerian Government refused to employ graduates.
Or maybe something like this; Last year was bad for me because I didn’t get the loan I was expecting from the bank or my friend and probably my uncle. In fact, they disappointed me and I wasn’t prepared.
That’s indeed a perfect EXCUSE sir/ma.
But listen to me here, if you’ve ever had to deal with Economics as a subject, do you remember those laws of diminishing returns?
It simply applies to your production level in life, business, and relationships this way.
When demand slows down, but there is an increase in supply, what happens is that the price of the product in question drops really fast.
This goes to say that when you work less, you must be prepared to supply more excuses, more justifications, more why’s to those who care to listen to you. And guess what? Your value drops, your finances drop. Your income diminishes. Your relationships fail. Your responsibilities as a father or mother begin to wither.
Ultimately, your employer begins to see less of you(your value) at work.
In summation, The More excuses you create, the less work you are prepared to do, and your value financially, relationship, business-wise diminishes.
No More, No Less!!
Excuses are the Demand – When you want to fail, you create excuses. More excuses created brings about the next action. Less Work.
Work is the Supply – So, here Work or inputs to get things done becomes less because excuses can be created easily at any time to save you from bashing or blames. Now, you know what to say when you don’t do what needs to be done.
Price is the Value – Gradually, people begin to run away from you. Trust is lost, dependence on you to get things done diminishes, you become of zero value.
This indeed explains how each day’s task goes for us.
You’re either increasing your value or decreasing it.
And the first 2 actions determines the divide you find yourself.
But as we all know, 99% of us don’t ever want to give excuses.
So, today… I would like to show you the 3 simple ways I have used to help myself to GET RID OF EXCUSES.
I said this last year and I have kept to it.
I can confidently say the result has been massive for me.
Here are 3 ways you can do it:
- Consciously Understand and Acknowledge the fact that no matter the excuses you create, it will never change or improve your situation. This is a rare and face-to-face truth you must tell yourself.
- Make a list of the excuses you use or hear on a regular basis
- I don’t have the money
- I don’t have the time
- I have kids…I don’t have kids
- I am married…I am not married
- I have to find balance in my life
- I am overworked
- I don’t have time to study
- Our prices are too high
- The customer didn’t show for the appointment
- The economy is bad
- I’m too tired to go to the gym
- I don’t just want to be in the same room with XYZ
- He/She Talks Too Much
- He/She Is Boring
- It Will Take Too Much Time
- I Really Don’t Understand How It Works
- I Was Told, It’s Not Possible
- I Slept Off
- I Was Sick or Ill, So I Couldn’t
- I’m Not Good At Reading or Writing
- I’m Not A Graduate
- I’m More Advanced
and on and on…Pay Attention
- Sit down with your list and find ways to take responsibility
- “I don’t have any time” vs. “I am not being productive enough with the time that I have. I have to start working on managing my time”
- “I don’t have time to study” vs. “I Need To Spend At least 30 Minutes A Day To Study, So I Can Become Better Because It’s Important to me”
- “Our prices are too high and that’s why people are not buying” vs. “I am going to properly demonstrate the value my/our products/services provide to our/my customers, so they can see how valuable our product/service is compared to the price tag”
- “I don’t have money, so I won’t start the project or buy the stuffs to improve my knowledge” vs. “I have the energy, the knowledge on how to go out and offer someone a service and get paid so that I can have money to start the project”.
- “I have kids to care for and they are taking too much of my time to do the things I need to do to create a better life” vs. “I’ll plan my schedules with my kids, so I can also do other things in good time.”
- “I’m married and can’t do anything to make money, because I have to take care of the house or be a responsible spouse” vs. “Since I am married and won’t be allowed to go out and work, let me find something I can do from home as a wife or a spouse.”
- “I’m overworked, and can’t do other things” vs “How can I have more energy to work and be able to do everything that’s important to do every day for me.”
Listen to me again, we make all these excuses on a daily basis.
Excuses are really about YOU not accepting responsibility!
…actually it’s your inability to do the things you should be doing.
Learning to accept responsibility for EVERYTHING literally has changed my life.
YOU CANNOT CONTROL THAT WHICH YOU REFUSE TO ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR.
Do you want more control in your life? Stop making excuses and start taking responsibility.
So be aware today of any excuse you make, then try to find a way to accept responsibility for it.
Thanks for your time.
Is this important to you?
Let me know the kinds of excuses you’ve been making because I know you also believe they are genuine excuses.
Let’s find a way out together.
My name is Tim Abel.